dinsdag 6 juli 2004

Dear Blog,

One of the first things I found out after coming back to Amsterdam, was that I was no longer the proud owner of a bike. Of course it got stolen at some point during the 10 months I spent in Warsaw...in fact, I bet it was stolen more than once, cause I once read this statistic saying that annually, a bike in Amsterdam, on average, is stolen five times. It seems a little exaggerated, but two times per year should not be too hard to manage....
I guess at least that means that it was stolen from the person who stole it from me ;-))))

So everywhere I go, I go on foot. Which is not such a big deal 'cause Amsterdam is more like a reasonably large village than a city - like Warsaw... and in fact, I really really love my wandering / wondering around this place, it's so beautiful! I never realized... plus, during these walks I discover so many new things! Tiny, hidden restaurants ( my favourites!) in cute small streets with funny names I never heard of before, small churches and former monastries squeezed between office buildings and old storehouses, charming cafés... feel completely like a tourist in my own town!!

I also realized a couple of other things. You can call them elusive, sentimental crap, which they probably are, but oh well... For example: when I moved to Amsterdam eight years ago, I especially loved the anonymity of the place. You see, it's just big enough for nobody to care about what anyone else does (as long as you don't bother anyone..) and everyone remains perfectly indifferent at all times as to who you are and what you're doing.
I used to love that.
Now, I think it's kinda frightening. Well, not really frightening, but weird at least. I got so used to living in this Natolin community where everyone (more or less...) knows who you are and what you're doing (more or less...).
I really have to get used to all these strange people around me.
It's almost like I would want them to know who I am.

Enough!

While I was daydreaming along the canals in the sun (anyone becoming enthusiastic about coming to see the place yet??) I realized that I had forgotten to pick up my pictures from the store...they'd been waiting to be admired for almost a week... so I went back to pick them up and well, here they are!!!!

Olsztyn!
olsztyn stacja
polska po polsku
buildings...sky...sun...
taking a nap
ready to go to Gdansk!

Gdansk!
quite far from.... anywhere!
question for the Dutchies...does this remind you of...?!
Hmmmm.. I love this place!
nice.......
another question for the Dutchies... who..??
view from The Homey Hostel
Eva & Simon... les vacances!

Sopot!
aren't they...irresistible?
What's so funny, Pawel?
Lei è Nancy!
Eva & Vanessa enjoying the view...
.... I can see why!
Moi & Pitto

More Gdansk!
ooooowwww this place is a miracle!
lovely lovely lovely view!
francesco (nice view again!)
Lenin Shipyards in Gdansk!
21xTak!
history standing still...
The Pen
empty stores...
zaprasza??!
i guess this kinda proves i was really there...!
Amsterdam Centraal/Gdansk Glowny/Amsterdam Centraal/Gdansk Glowny?
Bronislaw Geremek & his biggest fan....

Capoeira...
i most definitely miss capoeira...
Szymon...
the team...

Polish National Day!
Wojtek & Marcin & lots of kielbasa
talk..talk...talk...
Saxy Sven & Rocking Remo
dance till u drop....

Closing Ceremony!
Les Polonais
La Polonaise...
Sunshine Kaja
President Kwaszniewski & Vice-Pre.... eh, Rector PNK
Primus Pawel!
Mega Mini Magda
Flag ceremony...
Erik & Else
Emanuele C, Jan, Jarek, Natasa, Dejan!

Foooooddddd
Mikko, Simon, Katja & Johanna
On parle francais ici!
Erik in de zon
Else enjoying the sun...
nice view...again!
Life is beautiful....


Well folks, that's all for today........
getting in a pretty nostalgic mood!
- Else

Geen opmerkingen: