woensdag 28 juli 2004

Dear Blog,
 
Yesterday, just two seconds after my big, tough brother (who's really afraid of nothing...) succesfully chased me out of his room, he came running after me with a rather frightened look on his face. 'There's a scorpion in my bedroom!'
So, what's the big deal, tough guy, just chase it away or something...
But he clearly had no intention of doing anything of the sort and made it very clear to me that i was supposed to kill the poor thing, so i caught it and threw it out of the window.

This morning I told my dad about it during breakfast and asked him 'so, exactly how dangerous are these little beasts?', and he rather casually answered that if you get stung, you're pretty sure to be unconciouss after half an hour and if someone doesn't get you to the hospital really fast, you're probably dead after an hour or so.
Interesting....
 
After that I went to the souk, which was nice. Lots of typically Moroccan sounds and smells, I just love those big heaps of colourful spices and got myself a few kilos of figs and dates, three beautiful Touareg scarfs (not really, there's no Touaregs anywhere in Morocco...), drank the most delicious glass of orange juice ever and ate lots of cactus fruit. I spent the rest of the day strolling down little medina alleyways, trying to take pictures of women (and being quite unsuccesful at it) and making friends with shop owners (which is quite a lot easier than escaping from them later on, after lots of mint tea, without buying yet another tapis...), which was followed by my favourite part of the Azrou experience: the grand taxi back home.

Now I have to admit that being squeezed between three men in the back seat of a ridiculously old Mercedes is not exactly appealing to me, so I was quite happy to find three women there for a change... but after about five seconds I found out that being squeezed against men might not be big fun, but at least it's slightly more comfy...cause their hip dimensions are slighty more modest... so much for breathing.... well at least women sit still and don't whisper slimy marriage proposals in your ear....
 
But the funniest part was the fact that the taxi was going incredibly slowly, really seriously slowly, whereas normally they don't... after a few minutes I found out why... the police were standing around some corner, trying to inconspicuously take pictures of speeding cars...manually... it was really the funniest thing! And of course, just a split second after passing the policemen, the driver hitted the accelerator so hard that breathing really became very very difficult....i mean, he did not even wait until he was out of sight or anything.... the police of course kept minding their own business, pretending not to notice... and I was having so much fun!    

Going out to dinner now in Ifrane, the place everyone in the region is sooo proud of... actually it's a skiing resort (yes, it is) so there's signs saying 'barriere de neige' all over the place, and the town is packed with new, big, shiny hotels and restaurants.... it even has its own airport (used approximately once a year -  when the king decides to pay the place a visit).... sounds like a perfect place for a nice evening out!
 
Salama, 
- Else 


Geen opmerkingen: